Letters of Note: A Gathering of Fascinating Correspondence
A somewhat woebegone reminder of a now extinct method of social networking lies in the letters, postcards, telegrams, faxes and memos compiled over at www.lettersofnote.com by a champion of offline communication, Shaun Usher.
Shaun lives up north in Manchester and runs both Letters of Note and its’ sister site Letterheady. The archives are enormous, but not half as vast as I expected, since it is a forever blossoming project. Archive exploration is the optimum way to navigate the site.
Below I’ve selected 10 of the most interesting arts based correspondence to begin fuelling your creative curiosity.
- John Lennon vs. Paul McCartney – “GOD HELP YOU OUT, PAUL”
- Before Radiohead Became “Big” (2 Letters) – “love, thom”
- Syd Barrett Describes His First Recording Session With Tea Set (Soon To Be Pink Floyd) – “Especially King Bee”
- Tim Burton’s Illustrated Children’s Book Is Rejected By Disney – “The Giant Zlig”
- Pixar Are Incredibly Responsive To Fans – “Best wishes, Brad Bird”
- Steven Spielberg Congratulates George Lucas On His Star Wars Success – “Wear it well”
- Monty Python Censorship – “I would like to retain ‘fart in your general direction’”
- The Creator Of Ren & Stimpy Advises School-Boy On Animation Career – “Your pal, John K”
- The First Harry Potter Book Fails To Win Guardian Prize – “There will be seven Harry Potter books altogether”
- Aldous Huxley’s Wife Administered Him With LSD On His Deathbed – “The most beautiful death”
-James Godwin, April 18th, 2011
- John Lennon letters to be published (guardian.co.uk)